For Emergencies

Contact Campus Police at (828) 232-5000 or dial 5000 from your office telephone first (e.g., for the quickest response time). We encourage you to add this telephone number to your mobile phone contact list. If you are off-campus, dial 911 from your telephone or mobile phone.

For Employee (and Student Worker) Incidents

Report all workplace incidents immediately, no matter how minor, to your supervisor (including near-miss and first-aid incidents). Please submit an Incident Report.

If medical treatment is needed, supervisors should the employee to the authorized medical provider (except in an emergency, the employee should be sent for medical treatment immediately).

Contact EHS at (828) 251-6038 for reporting questions or refer to UNCA’s Worker’s Compensation Policy 3260.

Serious Injuries, Illnesses, and Fatalities Reporting

Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) must be notified immediately in the event of a fatality and serious injury or illness (e.g., that results in the hospitalization of one or more individuals; amputation; or loss of an eye) by calling (828) 251-6038. After hours, EHS may be reached by calling University Police at (828) 232-5000.

For Student Incidents

Faculty and staff should report student incidents immediately, no matter how minor (including near-miss and first-aid incidents). Please submit an Incident Report.

For Environmental, Health or Safety Concerns

Please submit a Safety Concern.

For Assistance

The EHS offices are located in Weizenblatt Hall and Zeis Hall.  If you would like to speak or arrange a meeting with an EHS staff member, please visit Our Staff page.

Tent Permit for an Event

Please submit a tent permit application to EHS if your event will be using a tent.

Buncombe County Open Burning Information Hot-line

Burn alerts information 24/7 by calling (828) 250-6767.

Update: Commissioners Approve Updates to Fire Protection & Prevention Ordinance

ALL Fire Permits Are CANCELLED as of 11/06/2023. No new fire permits will be issued until further notice.

Date: Mon, Nov 6, 2023, 3:50 PM
Subject: Buncombe County Issues State of Emergency Banning Burning due to Extreme Fire Risk

Buncombe County has issued a state of emergency banning burning effective at 12 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 6 due to the extreme risk of fire. The declaration applies within the municipal limits of the City of Asheville, the Town of Weaverville, the Town of Woodfin, the Town of Black Mountain, the Town of Montreat, the Town of Biltmore Forest, and unincorporated Buncombe County. This declaration activates emergency management plans and allows personnel to be mobilized and positioned to reduce the vulnerability of people and property to damage, injury and loss of life while preparing for property and efficient rescue, care, and treatment of threated or affected persons. The declaration also provides for cooperation and coordination of activities relating to emergency mitigation, preparedness, response, and recovery with other county agencies, state and federal governments, with interstate organizations, and with other private and quasi-official organizations. The state of emergency will continue until emergency service officials advise the County otherwise.

Under the state of emergency, all outdoor burning is prohibited, including fire pits, campfires, tiki torches, and chimineas. Only the preparation of food using outdoor grills is allowed.

Fire Drill Exercises

Fire drill exercises for Resident Halls and Office/Classroom buildings are scheduled every March, June, September, and December. Fire drill exercises are required quarterly during the calendar year for University buildings by order of the NC State Fire Marshal under the authority of the NC Department of Insurance (DOI). Please visit the Fire Prevention Program page or contact EHS at (828) 251-6038 for more information.