The Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Committee is charged with supporting the University in its endeavors to comply with local, state and federal laws applicable to campus operations and acedemics. Their purpose is to help promote insight into EHS planning and training, avoidance of workplace injuries and illnesses and act as points of contact for employees of the University. The Committee ensures UNC Asheville, as a state agency, is represented by the faculty and staff so that all employees provided the opportunity to be involved in the on-going responsibility of providing a safe and environmentally responsible work place. This is accomplished via active participation and communication by committee members.
The University charges this Committee with the responsibility of representing every employee so that everyone is engaged in the environmental, health and safety process. They ensure that each of the EHS Programs receive the appropriate support required for successful implementation. As a result, both the Committee consists of employees from several divisions that include members of both management representatives and non-mangerial employees and both staff and faculty from across the University.
The EHS Committee meets on a quarterly basis to review program quality and performance through review of metrics designed to assess compliance with regulatory requirements and University continuous improvement effords.
The Committee Agenda will address the following inputs and outputs:
- Status of actions from the previous meeting
- Changes in relevant external and internal issues including the applicable legal requirements and other requirements and the EHS risks and opportunities
- The extent that the EHS policy and objectives have been met
Information on the EHS performance, including trends in:
- incidents, corrective actions and continual improvement
- worker participation
- program monitoring and measurement results
- audit results
- results of evaluation of compliance (State of NC Office of Human Resources)
- EHS risks and opportunities
- Relevant communication(s) with interested parties
- Opportunities for continual improvement
- Adequacy of resources for maintaining an effective EHS system
Decisions related to:
- conclusions on the suitability, adequacy, and effectiveness of the EHS system
- continual improvement opportunities
- need for changes to the EHS system, including resources needed
- actions needed when objectives have not been met
EHS Committee Duties, Appointments & Meetings
The Environmental Health and Safety Committee represents all University employees with members appointed by each University Division. Meetings are held on a quarterly basis to evaluate and discuss new programs, injuries or illnesses experienced by employees and EHS inspections performed by external agencies.
- Review all safety and health policies and procedures established by UNC Asheville.
- Review incidents involving work-related fatalities, injuries, illnesses or near-misses.
- Review employee complaints regarding safety and health hazards.
- Analyze the agency’s work injury and illness statistical performance.
- Conduct meetings at least (4) times per year. Maintain written minutes of such meetings, send copies to each committee member and post in the appropriate workplace.
- Make written recommendations on behalf of the Committee to the Director of Emergency Management with annual reports to the Vice Chacellor of Public Safety.
- Additional duties may be added as the Committee develops bylaws and operating procedures.
Departments, Members & Appointments
- One member of Chancellor Staff Advisory Committee (appointed by the Chancellor's Staff Advisory Committee, CSAC)
- One non-supervisory and one supervisory representative (appointed by the Director of University Enterprises and Athletics)
- One non-supervisory or supervisory representative (appointed by the Executive Director of Community Engagement)
- One non-supervisory or supervisory representative (appointed by the Vice Chancellor for Strategy & Information Analytics)
- Two faculty, each serving a three year term--staggered (appointed by Faculty Welfare and Development Committee)
- One non-supervisory and one supervisory representative (appointed by the Vice Chancellor for Administration and Finance)
- One non-supervisory and one supervisory representative (appointed by the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs)
- One Student Government Association (SGA) Representative for student workers (appointed by the Student Government Association President)
- One member of the Staff Council (appointed by the Chair of Staff Council)
- Academic Environmental Health and Safety Representative who represents Biological Safety, Lab Safety, Laser Safety, and Radiation Safety (voting ex-officio member)
- University Environmental Health and Safety Representative (and Institutional Director), Chair (voting ex-officio member)
- Recommendations: Director of Emergency Management
- Reports: Assistant Vice Chancellor for Public Safety
- Approval of the Minutes
- Old Business
- New Business
2020 Meeting Dates:
- Monday, January 20, 2020, 9:00 am - 10:00 am, Weizenblatt Hall, Room 106 (Cancelled Adverse Weather)
- Thursday, April 30, 2020, 9:00 am - 10:00 am, Weizenblatt Hall, Room 106 (Cancelled COVID-19)
- Thursday, August 27, 2020, 9:00 am - 10:00 am, Weizenblatt Hall, Room 106
- Thursday, October 29, 2020, Weizenblatt Hall, Room 106
2020-2022 EHS Committee (Term Starting Fall 2020)
Confirmed Betsy Blose, University Enterprises & Athletics (Supervisor) Representative
Confirmed David "Opie" Raymer, University Enterprises & Athletics (Non-Supervisor) Representative
Confirmed Jason Schmeltzer, 2018-2020 FWDC Faculty Representative 1
Confirmed Oksana Love, 2019-2021 FWCD Faculty Representative 2
Confirmed Elizabeth Underwood - University Advancement Representative
Open - Community Engagement (Supervisor or Non-supervisor) Representative
Open - Strategy & Information Analytics (Supervisor or Non-supervisor) Representative
Open - Administration & Finance (Supervisor) Representative
Open - Administration & Finance (Non-Supervisor) Representative
Open - Student Affairs (Supervisor) Representative
Open - Student Affairs (Non-Supervisor) Representative
Confirmed Jordan Perry, 2019-2021 Staff Council Representative
Confirmed Kevin Gibson, Academic Environmental Health & Safety Representative
Confirmed Kim Kauer, University Environmental Health & Safety Representative and Institutional Director