Incident Prevention, Reporting & Investigation

Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) ensures the University of North Carolina - Asheville is informed about employee near-misses, first-aids, injuries, and illnesses for the purposes of incident prevention, reporting and investigation and to establish a mechanism for compliance with the North Carolina Industrial Commission (NCIC) and Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) requirements for work-related injuries and illnesses. 

Safe work practices are part of an employee's duties in performing their daily tasks. Reporting unsafe conditions and at-risk behaviors are key to prevention. A proactive response to workplace hazards is important in protecting employees and others as well as University property.

Employees should use the Incident Report for reporting workplace near-misses, first-aids, injuiries, illnesses including hazards (e.g., just check the "hazard" box and answer the questions that apply).

Click here to see the Incident Reporting and Workers' Compensation Process Flow Chart.

Office of State Human Resources Workers' Compensation Program

The State Government Workers' Compensation Program is administered and managed by the Office of State Human Resources. The purpose of the program is to ensure that all eligible employees who experience a work-related injury or illness receive appropriate medical care and equitable benefits as provided under the Workers' Compensation Act and the State Human Resources Policy.

The State is a self-insured employer and has contracted with a Third Party Administrator (TPA), CorVel Corporation, to handle the workers' compensation claims of employees. The TPA is responsible for all compensation and medical bill payments through a workers' compensation fund established by State agencies and universities and administered by the Office of the State Controller, in cooperation with the Office of State Human Resources.

The Workers' Compensation Program is designed to assist any employee who suffers injury through an accident or occupational disease arising out of, and in the course of, their employment, according to the provisions of the North Carolina Workers' Compensation Act. This act applies to all university employees, whether full-time, part-time, or temporary.


Employees are our most valuable resource. We want to keep our employees safe and make sure that they get the medical treatment they deserve if they are injured on the job. All state employees are encouraged to find and report hazardous working conditions so that we can all prevent workplace injuries!

Employees are encouraged to read the Workers' Compensation Employee Handbook. This resource is designed to provide all state employees with an understanding of the benefits and coverage available by the state. You can also e-mail your questions about North Carolina's Workers' Compensation Program to

Reporting a Workplace Injury or Illness

Sometimes incidents happen at work. UNCA wants to prevent them, but we need your help to keep you and your coworkers safe on the job. If you see a hazard or unsafe working condition, please try to fix it if you can. If you can't immediately fix it, place a sign near the hazard and report it to your supervisor as soon as possible. 

If you are injured, you must tell your supervisor immediately, no matter how minor it may seem. If you need medical treatment other than first aid, your supervisor will direct you to an appropriate medical provider (or see "Authorized Medical Providers").

You must complete an Incident Report detailing your injury. Your supervisor will complete Supervisor's Incident Investigation Report. If there are any witnesses to the incident, please encourage them to complete an Incident Witness Statement.

On the day of your injury, you will not be charged leave for the time lost from work due to your injury. However, you are expected to return to work on the day of the injury unless the initial medical provider (authorized treating physician) where you are referred for treatment says you must go home for the day.

Your authorized treating physician will provide you with a written note for any time out of work or assigned work restrictions related to your work-related injury or illness.

You must give all work notes to your supervisor or workers’ compensation administrator as soon as possible upon receipt.

Your ongoing medical treatment is will be directed by the Third Party Administrator’s (CorVel Corporation) assigned adjuster that is handling claims on behalf of UNCA.

If the injury results in more than one lost work day, you must go on workers’ compensation leave (refer to Employee Leave Usage Form). There is a seven-day waiting period where no compensation for time lost from work will be provided unless the injury results in disability for more than 21 days, then compensation will be allowed from the date of disability. You may use vacation or sick leave in lieu of taking workers’ compensation leave during this seven-day waiting period. Consult with your human resources staff for more information about these policies.

The NC Workers’ Compensation Act provides medical benefits and compensation for your time lost from work and any permanent disability that results from your injury.

Your weekly benefit is 66 2/3% of your average weekly wages up to a statutorily calculated annual maximum amount. You may also use Supplemental Leave while you are completely out of work due to your injury.

UNCA has a structured Workers' Compensation Return-To-Work Policy 3261. The University will use this policy to provide you with modified/transitional duty employment that complies with the work restrictions indicated by your doctor during the healing period for your injury. After reaching maximum medical improvement, your agency/university will work with you to accommodate any permanent work restrictions and facilitate your return to permanent suitable employment.

After reaching maximum medical improvement (MMI), you may be entitled to compensation for a permanent partial disability that is a result of your work-related injury.

The University is responsible for payment of medical treatment and loss of wages for their employees’ workers’ compensation claims.

Contact UNCA's Workers' Compensation Administrator (WCA) at (828) 251-6038 for questions or assistance.

Authorized Medical Providers

Mercy Urgent Care West (Closest to UNCA)

1201 Patton Avenue
Asheville, NC 28806
Phone: 828-252-4878
Hours: 7:00 am - 8:30 pm, Monday - Friday and 9:00 am - 7:00 pm, Saturday - Sunday
Closed: Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas
Online Check-in

Mercy Urgent Care East

1272 Tunnel Road
Asheville, NC 28805
Phone: 828-210-8325
Hours: 8:00 am - 5:30 pm, Monday - Friday and 10:00 am - 4:00 pm, Saturday - Sunday
Closed: Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas
Online Check-in

Mercy Urgent Care North

61 Weaver Boulevard, Suite 106
Weaverville, NC 28787
Phone: 828-645-5088
Hours: 8:00 am - 5:30 pm, Monday - Friday and 10:00 am - 4:00 pm, Saturday - Sunday
Closed: Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas
Online Check-in

Mercy Urgent Care South

1833 Hendersonville Road
Asheville, NC 28803
Phone: 828-274-1462
Hours: 8:00 am - 5:30 pm, Monday - Friday and 10:00 am - 4:00 pm, Saturday - Sunday
Closed: Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas
Online Check-in

Mission Hospital Emergency Room

509 Biltmore Avenue
Asheville, NC 28801
Phone: 828-213-1111 or 911
Hours: 24/7

Workers' Compensation Polices, Handbooks & Forms

OSHR Workers' Compensation Administration Policy

UNCA Workers' Compensation Program Policy 3260

UNCA's Return-To-Work - Workers' Compensation Policy 3261

OSHR Workers' Compensation Leave Policy

Employee Leave Usage Form

OSHR Reporting Amputations, Loss of an Eye, Hospitalizations, and Fatalities

NC Workers' Compensation Employee Handbook

Workers' Compensation Employee Handbook Acknowledgement

NC Workers' Compensation Supervisor's Handbook

North Carolina Industrial Commission (NCIC) Forms

Employer Postings & Locations

Employer Required Postings

North Carolina Industrial Commission (NCIC) Form-17

North Carolina Department of Labor (NCDOL) Law Poster

OSHA 300 Summary of Occupational Injuires & Illnesses (SOII)

The employer is required to post the summary on February 1st until April 30th (for the previous year's incidents). 

Current Summary Posting Locations

  • Highsmith Union
  • Millar Facilities Complex
  • Phillips Hall (2nd Floor Landing)
  • Student Health Center (WT Weaver)
  • Weizenblatt Hall (Main Lobby)

Document Links

OSHA 300A 2019 Summary of Occupational Injuries & Illnesses

OSHA 300A 2018 Summary of Occupational Injuries & Illnesses

OSHA 300A 2017 Summary of Occupational Injuries & Illnesses

Terms & Definitions

ACCIDENT - An unlooked for and untoward event which is not expected or designed by the injured employee; a result produced by a fortuitous cause. An accident results in an interruption in the normal work routine caused by the accident. 

COMPENSATION - The monetary relief for loss of wages due to work related injury; also, payment for disability ratings given when disabling injuries occur. Types of compensation paid to employees covered by the Act are:

  • Compensation for disability dependent upon extent of  injury.
  • Compensation in stipulated amounts for  loss of some part of the body.
  • Compensation for death.
  • Compensation for bodily disfigurement. 

DISABILITY - Incapacity because of an accidental injury to earn wages which the employee was receiving at the time of the injury in the same or any other employment. The types of disability are:

  • Permanent Partial Disability - Any injury which results in the complete loss or loss of use of any member or part of the body. A disability rating, stated in percentage, is given by the treating physician when the employee has reached maximum medical improvement.
  • Permanent Total Disability - Any injury other than death which results in the complete and permanent total incapacity of the employee from following any gainful occupation.
  • Temporary Partial Disability - Any injury or disability which renders the employee able to work but at a lesser rate of earnings than that of his average weekly wage of his occupation at the time of the accident.
  • Temporary Total Disability - Any disability which renders the injured employee unable to perform a regularly established job on one or more calendar days following the day of injury.

FIRST AID TREATMENT - One-time treatment and subsequent observation of minor scratches, cuts, burns, splinters, etc., which do not ordinarily require medical care. 

INJURY - Injury and personal injury shall mean only those injuries caused by accident arising out of and in the course of the employment. With respect to back injuries and hernias, however, injury shall mean those which arise out of and in the course of the work assigned resulting directly from a specific traumatic incident. 

LOST WORKDAY - Any day for which the employee is unable to earn or is not paid a full day's wage as a result of the injury or illness. These days are counted on a calendar basis and are used to determine when an employee may begin to draw compensation. 

MEDICAL-ONLY CLAIMS - Those claims which have medical cost that does not exceed $2,000.00 and there is one day or less of time lost from work.  These claims are accumulated by the agency and totals are submitted to the Industrial Commission once a year.